Sunday 4 January 2015

Garden surprise and other sightings

I was waiting for a lift just after midday and as I stood in our sun porch I caught the movement of a dark object out of the corner of my eye. I thought it was a Blackbird so kept an eye on the low stone wall that it had disappeared behind hoping it would reappear. When it did I was in for a big surprise as a Water Rail appear and sauntered along the edge of the lawn before disappearing into a bush.

When I got home about four hours later I had just gone into the sun porch after being dropped off and as I watched out of the window as my lift drove off the Water Rail reappeared in exactly the same spot as before!! So that was a new species for the garden list and it would be good if it stuck around and adopted our pond.

After being picked up we past Echnaloch Bay on our way to the afternoon's destination and close in to the shore were two Great Northern Divers, unfortunately I so was busy looking at them that I missed the three Black-throated Divers that were a bit further out into the bay.

Barrie was back from his short break over the New Year period and was back out on his Burray patch this morning. He reported that the Glaucous Gull and the Common Scoters were still at Echnaloch Bay. He also saw Snow Buntings and Pied Wagtails at the Burray end of Barrier 4 and a Jack Snipe at Westshore. The latter location also add a White-billed Diver which was out in Watersound Bay.

No comments:

Post a Comment