Thursday 18 January 2018

Nice surprise - Stonechat

On my way back from town this morning (18 Jan) there was a Grey Heron as I came off of Barrier 3 onto Burray tucked in close to the barrier on the East side of the barrier.

I decided to make a brief stop at the lay-by between Echnaloch Bay and Echna Loch before the next snow shower passed through.

Out in the bay there were a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls, a couple of Lapwing, seven Long-tailed Ducks and a single Cormorant. Along the cliffs there was c50 Fulmars.

On the other side of the road on Echna Loch there were a couple of Mute Swans a couple of Great Black-backed Gulls, three Common Gulls, eight Tufted Ducks and three Mallards.

Out corner of my eye I saw something drop down from one of the fence posts onto the ground and a few seconds pop back up again. It continued along the fence line dropping from the each fence post to the ground and then back up to the next post along. It was a pleasant surprise to see a male Stonechat. Not only a new species for the year but a new species for my Burray bird list.


No comments:

Post a Comment